Wednesday 17 August 2016

Juno

Is that for us...?
"Jove's lightnings, the precursors
O' the dreadful thunder-claps, more momentary
And sight-outrunning were not; the fire and cracks
Of sulphurous roaring the most mighty Neptune
Seem to besiege and make his bold waves tremble,
Yea, his dread trident shake."

What subject can give sentence on his King?
And who sits here that is not Richard's subject?
Thieves are not judged but they are by to hear,
Although apparent guilt be seen in them;
And shall the figure of God's majesty,
His captain, steward, deputy-elect,
Anointed, crowned, planted many years,
Be judged by subject and inferior breath,
And he himself not present? O, forfend it, God,
That in a Christian climate souls refined
Should show so heinous, black, obscene a deed!


PROSPERO
MIRANDA sleeps
Come away, servant, come. I am ready now.
Approach, my Ariel, come.
Enter ARIEL
ARIEL
All hail, great master! grave sir, hail! I come
To answer thy best pleasure; be't to fly,
To swim, to dive into the fire, to ride
On the curl'd clouds, to thy strong bidding task
Ariel and all his quality.
PROSPERO
Hast thou, spirit,
Perform'd to point the tempest that I bade thee?
ARIEL
To every article.
I boarded the king's ship; now on the beak,
Now in the waist, the deck, in every cabin,
I flamed amazement: sometime I'ld divide,
And burn in many places; on the topmast,
The yards and bowsprit, would I flame distinctly,
Then meet and join. JOVE'S lightnings, the precursors
O' the dreadful thunder-claps, more momentary
And sight-out running were not; the fire and cracks
Of sulphurous roaring the most mighty Neptune
Seem to besiege and make his bold waves tremble,
Yea, his dread trident shake.
PROSPERO
My brave spirit!
Who was so firm, so constant, that this coil
Would not infect his reason?
ARIEL
Not a soul
But felt a fever of the mad and play'd
Some tricks of desperation. All but mariners
Plunged in the foaming brine and quit the vessel,
Then all afire with me: the King's son, Ferdinand,
With hair up-staring,--then like reeds, not hair,--
Was the first man that leap'd; cried, 'Hell is empty
And all the devils are here.'
PROSPERO
Why that's my spirit!
But was not this nigh shore?
ARIEL
Close by, my master.
PROSPERO
But are they, Ariel, safe?
ARIEL
Not a hair perish'd;
On their sustaining garments not a blemish,
But fresher than before: and, as thou badest me,
In troops I have dispersed them 'bout the isle.
The king's son have I landed by himself;
Whom I left cooling of the air with sighs
In an odd angle of the isle and sitting,
His arms in this sad knot.
PROSPERO
Of the king's ship
The mariners say how thou hast disposed
And all the rest o' the fleet.

PROSPERO
Ye elves of hills, brooks, standing lakes and groves,
And ye that on the sands with printless foot
Do chase the ebbing Neptune and do fly him
When he comes back; you demi-puppets that
By moonshine do the green sour ringlets make,
Whereof the ewe not bites, and you whose pastime
Is to make midnight mushrooms, that rejoice
To hear the solemn curfew; by whose aid,
Weak masters though ye be, I have bedimm'd
The noontide sun, call'd forth the mutinous winds,
And 'twixt the green sea and the azured vault
Set roaring war: to the dread rattling thunder
Have I given fire and rifted JOVE'S stout oak
With his own bolt; the strong-based promontory
Have I made shake and by the spurs pluck'd up
The pine and cedar: graves at my command
Have waked their sleepers, oped, and let 'em forth
By my so potent art. But this rough magic
I here abjure, and, when I have required
Some heavenly music, which even now I do,
To work mine end upon their senses that
This airy charm is for, I'll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound

I'll drown my book.
Solemn music
*********

KING HENRY V
What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin:
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By JOVE, I am not covetous for GOLD,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires:
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England:
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more, methinks, would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made
And crowns for convoy put into his purse:
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
********

Re-enter Lords, with EXETER and train
KING OF FRANCE
From our brother England?
EXETER
From him; and thus he greets your majesty.
He wills you, in the name of God Almighty,
That you divest yourself, and lay apart
The borrow'd glories that by gift of heaven,
By law of nature and of nations, 'long
To him and to his heirs; namely, the crown
And all wide-stretched honours that pertain
By custom and the ordinance of times
Unto the crown of France. That you may know
'Tis no sinister nor no awkward claim,
Pick'd from the worm-holes of long-vanish'd days,
Nor from the dust of old oblivion raked,
He sends you this most memorable line,
In every branch truly demonstrative;
Willing to overlook this pedigree:
And when you find him evenly derived
From his most famed of famous ancestors,
Edward the Third, he bids you then resign
Your crown and kingdom, indirectly held
From him the native and true challenger.
KING OF FRANCE
Or else what follows?
EXETER
Bloody constraint; for if you hide the crown
Even in your hearts, there will he rake for it:
Therefore in fierce tempest is he coming,
In thunder and in earthquake, like a JOVE,
That, if requiring fail, he will compel;

And bids you, in the bowels of the Lord,
Deliver up the crown, and to take mercy
On the poor souls for whom this hungry war
Opens his vasty jaws; and on your head
Turning the widows' tears, the orphans' cries
The dead men's blood, the pining maidens groans,
For husbands, fathers and betrothed lovers,
That shall be swallow'd in this controversy.
This is his claim, his threatening and my message;
Unless the Dauphin be in presence here,
To whom expressly I bring greeting too.

*******

KING LEAR
I prithee, daughter, do not make me mad:
I will not trouble thee, my child; farewell:
We'll no more meet, no more see one another:
But yet thou art my flesh, my blood, my daughter;
Or rather a disease that's in my flesh,
Which I must needs call mine: thou art a boil,
A plague-sore, an embossed carbuncle,
In my corrupted blood. But I'll not chide thee;
Let shame come when it will, I do not call it:
I do not bid the thunder-bearer shoot,
Nor tell tales of thee to high-judging JOVE:
Mend when thou canst; be better at thy leisure:
I can be patient; I can stay with Regan,
I and my hundred knights.

********

KING LEAR
Hear me, recreant!
On thine allegiance, hear me!
Since thou hast sought to make us break our vow,
Which we durst never yet, and with strain'd pride
To come between our sentence and our power,
Which nor our nature nor our place can bear,
Our potency made good, take thy reward.
Five days we do allot thee, for provision
To shield thee from diseases of the world;
And on the sixth to turn thy hated back
Upon our kingdom: if, on the tenth day following,
Thy banish'd trunk be found in our dominions,
The moment is thy death. Away! by JUPITER,
This shall not be revoked.
************

Fool
Ha, ha! he wears cruel garters. Horses are tied
by the heads, dogs and bears by the neck, monkeys by
the loins, and men by the legs: when a man's
over-lusty at legs, then he wears wooden
nether-stocks.
KING LEAR
What's he that hath so much thy place mistook
To set thee here?
KENT
It is both he and she;
Your son and daughter.
KING LEAR
No.
KENT
Yes.
KING LEAR
No, I say.
KENT
I say, yea.
KING LEAR
No, no, they would not.
KENT
Yes, they have.
KING LEAR
By JUPITER, I swear, no.
KENT
By JUNO, I swear, ay.
KING LEAR
They durst not do 't;
They could not, would not do 't; 'tis worse than murder,
To do upon respect such violent outrage:
Resolve me, with all modest haste, which way
Thou mightst deserve, or they impose, this usage,
Coming from us.




FADE IN: EXT. THE WHITE HOUSE COLONNADE - DAY 
Bartlet and C.J., along with other aides behind them are walking down the colonnade.

BARTLET 
Galileo V.

C.J. 
Yes, sir.

BARTLET 
Just the name...

C.J. 
Galileo V!

BARTLET 
You can feel the adventure.

C.J. 
Yes, indeed.

BARTLET 
NASA's great at naming things.

C.J. 
They are.

BARTLET 
Mercury, Apollo, Atlantis, the Sea of Tranquility, the Ocean of Storms...

C.J. 
Good names!

BARTLET 
First time I heard 'Galileo V,' the way the imagination immediately... It reminded me of the way folks in my generation felt when we heard "Yellow Submarine."

C.J. 
Okay.

BARTLET 
We really did all want to live in a yellow submarine.

C.J. 
I can't believe they gave you people drivers' licenses.

BARTLET 
Tell me where we're going again.

C.J. 
Mars briefing rehearsal.

BARTLET 
Why?

C.J. 
To rehearse.

BARTLET 
Say the name.

C.J. 
I said the name.

BARTLET 
Say it again. Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure.

C.J. [with gusto] 
Galileo FIVE!

BARTLET 
You didn't say it right.

C.J. 
I said it fine!

BARTLET 
Say it again.

CUT TO: 
INT. MARS BRIEFING REHEARSAL - DAY 
The TelePrompTer shows the name 'Galileo' on it and Sam's head pops up. The crewmembers of the NASA Public Affairs are around the place.

SAM 
Who wrote this intro?

SCOTT TATE 
I did.

SAM 
You're from NASA Public Affairs?

TATE 
Yep.

SAM 
You mind if I give it a polish?

TATE 
Is there a problem?

SAM 
No, it's great. You mind if I change it?

TATE 
I'd prefer if you didn't.

SAM 
Just the same...

TATE 
The Public Affairs has cleared the text. If it's gonna be changed, I'd prefer that the President change it.

SAM 
See, that's kind of what he pays me to do, so...

TATE 
Look, I don't want to step on your toes. You don't want to step on mine. We're both writers.

SAM 
Yes, I suppose, if you broaden the definition to those who can't spell.

TATE 
Excuse me?

Bartlet walks in with C.J.

BARTLET 
Good morning!

EVERYONE 
Good morning, Mr. President.

C.J. Sir, this is the crew from NASA Public Affairs.

BARTLET 
How you doing?

C.J. 
Sir, we're going to run you through the drill for tomorrow morning. First of all, you'll be flanked on either side by the Flight Operations Manager David Narakawa and NASA Chief Administrator Dr. Peter Jobson. On either side of them will be Dr. Samuel Thurman of the Meteorite Analysis team from the Johnson Space Center, and Dr. Joyce Grey-Sutton, Planetary Geologist from Cal State Northridge. On these monitors you'll be seeing the images beamed back from the surface and on this computer screen you'll be able to read the questions being sent in by the kids. 

I strongly urge you...

BARTLET 
Yes.

C.J. 
I strongly urge you...

BARTLET 
I know.

C.J. 
I strongly urge you, Mr. President, to act as moderator and pass the questions of to one of the experts on the panel rather than answer it yourself.

BARTLET 
Yes.

C.J. 
Would you like to see some of the questions?

BARTLET 
We have questions in advance?

C.J. 
Some of them. Would you put them on?

CREWMEMBER [OS] 
Sure.

Bartlet sits on one of the chairs in the front and reads from the computer monitor.

BARTLET 
Katie, sixth grade, Green Oaks Junior High School, Austin, Texas, asks, 
"How old is the planet Mars?
That's a great question, Katie. The planet Mars is 4.6 billion years old.

C.J. 
What did I just say?

BARTLET 
I knew that one.

C.J. 
Nobody likes a know-it-all!

BARTLET 
Yes, God forbid, that while talking to 60,000 public school students, the President should appear smart!

C.J. 
That's fine. Just don't show off.

BARTLET 
I don't show off. 

[reads again

Stevie, fourth grader, PS 31, Manhattan, asks, "What is the temperature on Mars?" 
Well, Stevie, if one of our expert panelists were here, they would tell you the average temperature ranges from 15 degrees to minus 140.

C.J. 
[looking through her papers]
 That happens to be wrong. It ranges from 60 to minus 225.

BARTLET 
I converted it to Celsius in my head.

C.J. 
Thank you.

BARTLET 
Can I see the intro?

SAM 
It's up on the Prompter.

BARTLET 
[reads
"Good morning! I'm speaking to you live from the West Wing of the White House. Today we have a very unique opportunity to take part live in an extremely historic event which..." 
Whoa, boy...

SAM 
[waves and smiles
How you doing, Mr. President?

BARTLET 
Who wrote this intro?

TATE 
I did, sir. I'm Scott Tate from NASA Public Affairs.

BARTLET
 [gets up and shakes his hand]
Scott. 
"Unique" means "one of a kind." 
Something can't be very unique, nor can it be extremely historic.

C.J. 
While we're at it, do we have to use the word "live" twice in the first two sentences like we just cracked the technology?

TATE
Look...

C.J. 
We're also broadcasting in living color, right?

BARTLET 
Sam?

SAM 
Yeah.

BARTLET [to Tate
He's gonna make some changes.

TATE [following Sam
You're going to clear them with me?

SAM 
I doubt it. 
[to a recording staffer

Write this: 

"Good morning. Eleven months ago a 1200 pound spacecraft blasted off from Cape Canaveral, Florida. Eighteen hours ago..."
Is it eighteen hours ago? We're on the air at noon eastern.

C.J. 
Yeah.

SAM 
"Eighteen hours ago it landed on the planet Mars. You, me, and 60,000 of your fellow students across the country along with astroscientists and engineers from the Jet Propulsion Lab in Southern California, NASA Houston, and right here, at the White House, are going to be the first to see what it sees, and to chronicle an extraordinary voyage of an unmanned ship called Galileo V."

BARTLET 
[taps C.J. on the arm] 
He said it right.

C.J. nods.

SMASH CUT TO: MAIN TITLES. 
END TEASER

BUT IT HAS THE WRONG NAME...

"Well this is a new ship. But she's got the right name. Now you remember that, you hear?"

"I will sir."

"You treat her like a lady. And she'll always bring you home."

- Admiral Leonard McCoy and Lt. Commander Data






PROSPERO
I'll deliver all;
And promise you calm seas, auspicious gales
And sail so expeditious that shall catch
Your royal fleet far off.
Aside to ARIEL
My Ariel, chick,
That is thy charge: then to the elements
Be free, and fare thou well! Please you, draw near.
Exeunt

EPILOGUE
SPOKEN BY PROSPERO

Now my charms are all o'erthrown,
And what strength I have's mine own,
Which is most faint: now, 'tis true,
I must be here confined by you,
Or sent to Naples. Let me not,
Since I have my dukedom got
And pardon'd the deceiver, dwell
In this bare island by your spell;
But release me from my bands
With the help of your good hands:
Gentle breath of yours my sails
Must fill, or else my project fails,
Which was to please. Now I want
Spirits to enforce, art to enchant,
And my ending is despair,
Unless I be relieved by prayer,
Which pierces so that it assaults
Mercy itself and frees all faults.
As you from crimes would pardon'd be,
Let your indulgence set me free.


No comments:

Post a Comment