Friday 11 November 2016

I've Already Gone Places



F26. What does Carl mean by "I've already gone places"?
When Agents Desmond and Stanley are checking out Teresa's trailer, the trailer park manager, Carl, says 

"I've already gone places. 

 I just want to stay around."

Some say this indicates Carl believes the agents see him as a suspect and he doesn't want to go to jail, he's already been there.

Others suggest that perhaps Carl had had an experience like Agent Philip Jeffries (which we learn about later) and what may have happened to Agent Stanley (also later); namely, a trip to what we assume is the Black Lodge.

This is yet another unanswered question. These lines are not in the FWWM shooting scrip
t, and none of the other dialogue in this scene talks about anyone going anywhere, so we can only assume that they were a last-minute change by Lynch, or an ad lib by actor Harry Dean Stanton

.
It reminds me of a line from "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" the last story I read to my class before... the accident. Ichabod Crane disappears... the line goes: 

"As he was a bachelor, and in nobody's debt, nobody troubled their head about him anymore."

"Is that what you feel?"

It's what I want... what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment