Sunday 23 April 2017

The Politics of Optimism

" We Almost Cured Cancer. "


BARTLET
Sam.

SAM
Yes sir?

BARTLET
Why shouldn't I do it?

SAM

I think you should

I think ambition is Good. 

I think overreaching is Good. 

think giving people a vision of Government that's more than Social Security checks and debt reduction is Good. 

I think Government should be Optimistic.




Here's something interesting. 

In 1940, our armed forces weren't among the twelve
most formidable in the world, but obviously, we were gonna fight a big war. 

And Roosevelt said the U.S. would produce 50,000 planes in the next four years.

Everyone thought it was a joke. 

And it was.
 
'Cause it turned out we produced 100,000 planes.

 Gave 
the Air Force an armada that would block the sun.

LISA
Do you still have what you wrote that night?

SAM
About curing Cancer?

LISA
Yeah.
Read it to me. [sits]

SAM
"Over the past half-century, we've split the atom, we've spliced the gene, and we've roamed Tranquility Base. 

We've reached for the stars, and never have we
been closer to having them in our grasp. 

New science, new technology is making the difference between life and death, and so we need a national commitment equal to this
unparalleled moment of possibility. 

And so, I announce to you tonight, that I will bring the full resources of the federal government and the full reach of my office to this fundamental goal :

" We Will Cure Cancer by the End of This Decade. "

No comments:

Post a Comment